Parish History

A brief history of All Souls Catholic Church



  • The Miller and Walnut Avenue site was selected for a new larger church. The linden Avenue site of the original mission church and $700 in cash were accepted as the purchase price for the new location.

  • On October 30, 1915, All Souls’ original Church was moved to its second home site of the new property and became a parish hall.



  • Construction on the new church began early in the year and was completed in November. The complete building complex cost $26,000.

  • San Francisco Archbishop Edward J. Hanna dedicated the new church, rectory, and hall on December 16.

All Souls Catholic School


  • In January, groundbreaking ceremonies took place for a badly needed parochial school on the corner of Miller and Spruce Avenue. The Cost of $400,000 was raised by a subscription drive and various social activities.

  • The sisters of the Holy Family left after devoting thirty-five years to the development of All Souls. The Parish owed them a tremendous debt of gratitude.

  • The school opened on September 6, 1949 with kindergarten through fourth grade in session. Additional grades were added each of the following years with a full k-8 school envisioned for 1953.

  • San Francisco Archbishop John J. Mitty officially dedicated and blessed the school on September 28.

All Souls Catholic Church April 22, 1864


  • April 22 – The church and rectory burned to the ground. Only the Portugese Santo Christo statue and the replica of the Lourdes grotto remained standing.


  • February 28 – The first Masses were held in the lower hall under the nave of the new church.

  • March 24 – The upper church was opened for services.

  • The 12 noon Mass in Spanish became part of the new schedule of Masses.

  • Geared to lay involvement, the birth of the Parish Council, Parish Finance Committee, and the Parish School Board took place resulting in study groups, home Masses, discussions, catechist formation and religious instructions in the sacramental programs for parents and children


  • February 16 – Archbishop Joseph McGucken formally blessed the new Church, Convent, Parish Hall and Rectory.

For a full history of All Souls:

Proceeds for this years festival will go towards the renovation of the parish hall.